Saturday, April 3, 2010

Evening Camp at Lake Grapevine

We'd been told that we couldn't take our Daisy Troop camping overnight, so Jill (another Daisy leader) and I hatched a plan to have the same fun experiences close to home, minus the sleeping in a tent. We chose a secluded park on the north shore of Lake Grapevine, and we had our girls make fishing poles out of bamboo, play kickball, roast s'mores, go on a scavenger hunt, and we even invited a Junior Troop to come and teach us Girl Scout songs around our campfire.

The funny thing about the bamboo poles is how they were aquired. There is a grove of bamboo over by the Flower Mound Post Office. Bamboo grows and divides like crazy to the point of often being a nuisance...but...would I get in trouble for chopping down bamboo on government property? This is one of those things that's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I headed over one evening at dusk and parked my car a ways away, walked over, and quickly cut down a dozen poles with my nipper tool. Then I retrieved my car and quickly opened the back hatch and stuffed the bamboo shoots in. I hadn't taken the time to trim the side shoots, so there were branches and leaves everywhere, including sticking out of the back after I closed the door. It probably was a strange sight to see...but, I find that I do all sorts of strange things all for the sake of my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment